Brian and I went snowboarding last Saturday. Brian's mom spent time with the kiddos all day while we drove up to Santa Fe Ski Mountains and hit the slopes! However, it wasn't the smoothest snowboarding trip we've had.
We haven't been snowboarding in 2 years, though it's one of the only sports/activities Brian and I both LOVE. The winter before last I was nursing a 6 month old and just found out I was pregnant (AGAIN). Then the following year I had a newborn baby I was nursing as well. So this year we were finally able to go!
It started off probably the worst way possible. The ski lift we usually would get on now had a conveyor belt below it to "help". It was VERY busy, so we were getting on with 2 other teenage boys on the seat. The lift is VERY fast and whips around, as soon as the people in front of you sit down you are to get in front of your seat as FAST as possible. As Brian and I did this, the 2 teenage boys that were getting on with us pushed ME over, so I pushed Brian over, our boards got tangles, the teenage boys got tangled and BAM we all fell down as the lift RAN us over. As this happened, all 204 lbs of my husband landed SQUARE on top of me as I laid on my back.
As soon as I was able to somewhat regain my composure, I feel the utterly unmistakable feeling... I hit my knee. On what, I did not know.. I could only imagine the worst as flashbacks of my dangling knee and horrendous knee surgery after I tore my ACL, LCL and meniscus in Cheerleading... the weeks of feeling like I was dead in a bed, my leg rotating in a medical contraption that was supposed to aid my healing and flexibility, it hurt like hell set up shop in my knee. Following the mind bending pain I went through, after nearly dying from an allergic reaction to the anethstetic, not breathing for 3 minutes and on the verge of death in my mother's arms, and the months of knee therapy the enabled me to walk normally... All I could do was cling to the pain and pray that it wasn't what I feared - a bum knee for the second time.. and of course, the SAME knee as before.
So... after shutting the lift down for a good 5 minutes, they moved me out of the way and on to a stretcher. They took me to the Ski Medics office and we filled out a TON of paperwork as I iced my knee.
Thankfully, it was only a seriously bruised patella and a nice gash on top. Well, it was the first lift we had gotten on. We just paid $116 for me to fall on my back and get run over.. and with absolutely no refunds allowed, I wasn't about to throw that money down the drain without SOME sort of snowboarding!! So I iced it. Walked around, and decided to head up the mountain again and see how I do.
We took a smaller lift up, which only seated 2 and wasn't so fast. I was nervous getting on after what had happened before, but once we were safely on, it was fairly easy getting comfortable again!
We did great, Brian and I both were getting our carving figured out... we were trying to master that 2 years ago before our parenting hiatus.
I hit my knee again by landing on it and only did one more run after that, it was just too sore to do much more. All in all, we had a great day and a lot of fun together!
The kids weren't feeling well at Brian's mom's house, so I felt bad hearing that I wasn't able to nurse them all day, but thankfully they bounced back the next day and felt much better.




1 comment:
Glad overall you had a Good Day and your injury wasn't more serious.
I love the new pic up top :)
Post a Comment