Thursday, March 12, 2009

Lily thinks she's Spiderman.

So! On Tuesday I had the scariest morning, thanks to my adorable little 'mider-man'... Lily.

She, thanks to her cousin Seth and older brother Caleb, is pretty sure she IS spiderman. Of course, this is what I infer happened the day she decided leaping off the couch (which again, is all I can speculate because I didn't see the actual incident) was a decent idea!

I was in the kitchen, cleaning up. I heard Lily shriek in pain after a loud, "thud!"
I ran into the living room to see Lily next to the couch just seconds after I had seen her playing on the couch with my purse.

I scooped my little lovey away, rocking, humming and talking the pain away. I walked to the downstairs bathroom cradling her, as I often did when one of the kids has a boo-boo, to assess her and see in the mirror if I were missing any large bump, bleeding, gash that I wasn't able to see while rocking and calming her down.

As I rocked and checked, I noticed my little Lily was sort of hum-crying as I held her tight. I pulled her back to see that she was completely lethargic. Her eyes shut. I shook her, saying, "Lily!" She hardly was able to flicker her eyes open as if she were passed out. Her eyes a darker shade than her normal hazel-green eyes... masked with a shade of glaze across them. She was completely out of it.

Mommy instinct kicked in. I ran to my phone, holding her close and monitoring her breathing. She was breathing normally. I tried to call Brian, but I just got a new phone the DAY before and wasn't even sure how to dial out yet. As soon as I was able to get to the "new call" screen, I had been trying to wake her up to no avail for what seemed like eternity. I knew this wasn't right. I dialed 911, already in full hysterics. I managed to tell them where I lived and what had just happened. They assured me someone was on the way.Right after that I called Brian, who was getting Caleb's hair cut down the road.

Wearing only my nightgown, I ran upstairs to throw on a shirt and yoga pants. As I did this, Lily barely flickered her eyes a few times. I laid her on the bed and she didn't respond. I was in full panic mode... All the while thinking how horrible I am in the case of an emergency. My hands were shaking so bad I couldn't even get dressed. I threw on the closest things I could grab and scooped her up again. This time, she opened her eyes and stared at me. They weren't as glossy as before, which I happy to see.

I cradled her downstairs, waiting by the door to see EMTs. Just then, I saw them. I flew the door open and at the same time heard Brian opening the garage door. I wiped away my tears and tried to explain how she was acting. She was more alert when they were here, but still not the same. They checked her skull, eyes, mouth.. nothing seemed off, but they were concerned with her passing out after she hit her head. They told me I could either ride with them to the hospital or take her on my own. I decided on the latter.

I took her to Presb's pediatric urgent care. I knew it would be the fastest and is brand new, completely dedicated to children.

We only waited about 20 minutes. She was very calm, sitting on my lap the entire time. When they called us up to fill out paperwork, I sat her on the counter next to me. She started yelling, "Mider-MAAANNN!!!" And pointing. The front desk lady was shocked. She said, "Is she saying 'Spiderman?'" I explained to her the Spiderman freaks she was exposed to daily (Caleb and Seth). She laughed and saw what Lily was pointing at, a Spiderman sticker. She gave it to Lily who let out a big "Yeeaaaaaahhh!!!" So excited to have her "Mider-Man" sticker. The nurse and other front desk lady were laughing at Lily, which of course gave Lily the center-of-attention status she LOVED.

Soon after, we were called back to the "Australia" room. The doctor examined her and gave me a list of things to look out for. She checked her body and everything looked fine, though she warned me that with this type of head injury she'd likely sleep a lot throughout the day. She did.

Caleb went to his grandma Sandy's house for the day, while Brian and I spring cleaned and held our Lily girl all day. She was such a trooper, and I thank God that our prayers worked so quickly that He healed her when I needed Him most.

So, please pray that we NEVER have a morning like that AGAIN!!! :)

3 comments:

Hailey said...

Very Scary.
Glad everything turned out okay and she is on the mend now.

Kayla said...

How Scary Sierra! I am so glad that she is better!!!!! ((((((())))))))

gooberdre said...

I'm so happy to hear that Lily wasn't seriously hurt and you survived, yet another mommy event. You are a wonderful mom and as you know, we (moms) do amazing things underpressure. XOXO!

Background

Powered By Blogger

Followers